I have flat feet, is there any exercise that can help support my arches?

Flat feet can be a structural issue in which case exercises may not provide you any improvement. In this case, shoe orthotics may be required to assist in providing additonal support to the arch of your foot. If your flat feet are a result of muscle imbalances, then certain stretching and strenghtening exercises can be performed to help support your arches. First, foam roll your calves. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage that can help relax tight muscles before you stretch them. Hold the tender spots for 30 seconds. You can also place the foam roller under your foot and roll back and forth on the bottom of the foot to help improve your foot range of motion. Then, statically stretch your calves. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Next, perform strengthening exercises your foot and ankle complex. This can be done by performing towel scrunches to strengthen the muscles at the bottom of your foot and single-leg calf raises to strengthen muscles that help support your foot and ankle. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions for these exercises. Lastly, perform a balance exercise to help in overall lower-extremity control, such as a single-leg balance and reach. Make sure the foot of the balance leg does not flatten when performing this exercise. Perform 1-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions of this balance exercise.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

What type of shoe is best for foot disorders like flat foot?
Dr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNDr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
You want to find a shoe that fits your foot well and provides the support that your foot needs. This...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with flat feet?
If you have a child or family member with flat feet, there are a number of ways you can help.If thei...
Can flat feet be prevented?
Children usually inherit flat feet, so they cannot be prevented. However, adults can be at increased...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain