Are shoe inserts effective in treating posterior tibial tendon dysfunction?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
One study of 32 patients with stage II posterior tibial tendon dysfunction who were treated with an ankle-foot orthosis (custom shoe inserts) found that after seven to 10 years, 70% of the patients were brace-free and avoided surgery, while five patients (15%) still wore a brace and another five patients (15%) went on to have surgery. Another study of 36 adults in stage I or II of the condition found that a program of stretching and orthosis wearing improved the condition over all, and that certain resistance exercises further reduced pain and improved perceptions of function.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

What are flexible flat feet?
Dr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MDDr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MD
Most children have flexible flat feet, a normal condition in which the arch flattens when pressure i...
How are rigid flat feet treated?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If the rigid flat foot is painless and doesn't interfere with walking, no treatment is required....
What do I need to know about caring for someone with flat feet?
If you have a child or family member with flat feet, there are a number of ways you can help.If thei...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain