Will my anosmia go away?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Based on what causes your anosmia, the condition may or may not go away. Certain types of anosmia can be caused by damage to the lining of the nose. If you smoke, have allergies, or suffer from an upper respiratory illness, such as the common cold, your anosmia will go away when your illness clears up. In addition, if your anosmia is caused by a blockage, like a polyp in your nose, your anosmia will go away after a doctor removes the obstruction.

Continue Learning about The Five Senses

What is the best way to prevent anosmia?
There are several things you can do to prevent anosmia. It is important to quit smoking, wash your h...
How can my senses affect my shopping behavior?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
Our senses are heightened when we shop; information is flooding in that we are processing all at onc...
What are the health benefits of touch?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Touching regularly has wonderful physical benefits. People who have a good amount of non-sexual touc...
How can I correct my anosmia?
To correct your anosmia, talk to your doctor. He or she can find the underlying cause of your anosmi...