What is sound frequency?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Frequency is the number of cycles a sound wave makes in one second. The number of cycles is measured in hertz (Hz). The higher the frequency of a sound, the higher the pitch. High-pitched sounds, such as a siren, have frequencies of thousands of hertz. Low-pitched sounds, such as thunder, have frequencies of only a few hertz.

People with normal hearing can hear frequencies as low as 20 and as high as 20,000 hertz. However, humans are most sensitive to sounds in the frequency range characteristic of human speech, 500 to 8,000 hertz.

Continue Learning about The Five Senses

What is the best way to prevent anosmia?
There are several things you can do to prevent anosmia. It is important to quit smoking, wash your h...
Why do I lose my senses of smell and taste when I'm sick?
The senses of taste and smell are often deadened when one has a cold. In this video, Dr. Oz expl...
How Do Supermarkets Get Shoppers to Spend More?
What Are the Main Senses That Babies Use?