What role does the brain play in hearing?

David M. Vernick, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Your brain does more than tell you what you just heard -- which musical note it was, or which word, and so on. It sorts out the sounds by their relative importance. It helps tune out unimportant sounds, such as the flush of a toilet, the hum of the refrigerator, or the din in a restaurant, so that important sounds, like human voices, come through clearly. It's not that you don't hear unimportant sounds; rather, your brain makes sure you don't notice them as much as more important sounds.

Continue Learning about The Five Senses

How can I correct my anosmia?
To correct your anosmia, talk to your doctor. He or she can find the underlying cause of your anosmi...
Why do I lose my senses of smell and taste when I'm sick?
The senses of taste and smell are often deadened when one has a cold. In this video, Dr. Oz expl...
How Can My Senses Affect My Shopping Behavior?
What Are the Main Senses That Babies Use?