What are central auditory processing deficits?

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association defines deficits in central auditory processing (CAP) as "difficulties in the perceptual processing of auditory information in the central nervous system (CNS)," which are demonstrated by poor performance in one or more of the following skills:

1) Understanding auditory information in the presence of competing acoustic signals (e.g., speech in a noisy environment);

2) Processing of time-related cues in auditory signals;

3) Recognizing patterns in sounds;

4) Distinguishing the differences between two sounds;

5) Understanding degraded acoustic signals; and

6) Locating the source of a sound.

Continue Learning about The Five Senses

Does anosmia affect women differently than men?
Anosmia does not affect women differently than men. Anosmia is the loss of sense of smell, which may...
What are the health benefits of touch?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
There is a great healing power in touch and research is now showing how critical touch is to our...
How Do Supermarkets Get Shoppers to Spend More?
How Can My Senses Affect My Shopping Behavior?