Are the five senses of human beings reliable?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
The five senses are extremely deceptive. They tell us that the sunrises in the east and sets in the west, that the earth is flat, that an object made of steel couldn't possibly be held up by air. The next stage of awareness depends upon laws of nature that are arrived at by thinking and experimenting. The observer is no longer a victim of deception. He can figure out the law of gravity using mathematics and thought experiments. (Newton didn't have to sit under a tree and have an actual apple fall on his head—he could perform a thought experiment using images and the numbers that match those images. This was the process he followed, as did Einstein by imagining how relativity worked.) When the human brain considers the laws of nature, the material world is still "out there" to be explored. More power is gained over nature, but if this level of awareness was the ultimate one (as many scientists think it is), utopia would be a technological triumph. The five senses are extremely deceptive.

Continue Learning about The Five Senses

What are the health benefits of touch?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
There is a great healing power in touch and research is now showing how critical touch is to our...
Does my child have a brain problem if he has poor sight or hearing?
Sensory development is a huge indicator of how well the brain is functioning. During the first f...
How Can My Senses Affect My Shopping Behavior?
What Are the Main Senses That Babies Use?