Does anosmia affect women differently than men?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Anosmia does not affect women differently than men. Anosmia is the loss of sense of smell, which may be a chronic or temporary condition depending on what causes it. In people with anosmia, damage to the nose or brain prevents the nerves in the nose from communicating to the area of the brain that identifies smells. This condition is not affected by gender.

Continue Learning about The Five Senses

What can I do to avoid anosmia?
There are several things you can do to avoid anosmia. This disorder can be caused by smoking, allerg...
How can my senses affect my shopping behavior?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
Our senses are heightened when we shop; information is flooding in that we are processing all at onc...
Why do I lose my senses of smell and taste when I'm sick?
The senses of taste and smell are often deadened when one has a cold. In this video, Dr. Oz expl...
How Can My Senses Affect My Shopping Behavior?