Is WiiFit good exercise?

It can be, but it also carries a risk of overuse type injuries. There have been some recent studies looking at using system like a WiiFit in senior populations and in injury rehabilitation. Results indicate improvements in performance and decreased injuries, along with improved mood.

I love my Wii. I used the WiiFit for rehabilitation after knee surgery. I needed to get cardiovascular work back into my exercise routine so I created a circuit and my 1 minute cardio was boxing. The WiiFIt is also a great help in the one component that is overlooked in training…balance!  There are many activities that show your center of balance. This helps to increase awareness of your posture and identify areas of adjustment. As with any exercise routine, variety is important to avoid overuse injury. If you play the same game for hours a day, you are setting yourself up for just that.  An additional bonus is it helps with hand eye coordination like other video games and at the same time, includes physical activity.

Continue Learning about Fitness Resources

Where can I purchase fitness DVDs?
Online fitness equipment suppliers often offer books and DVDs as well. Websites such as Amazon.com a...
How can I get access to scholarly journals?
Debra Atkinson, MSDebra Atkinson, MS
You can go to www.pubmed.com and enter the topic you're looking for information on. From there you w...
Where can I find home workout plans online?
There is no shortage of workout programs online. Many fitness magazines have weekly, monthly, or s...
What Is a Good Exercise I Can Do to Tone My Legs?