What qualities should I look for in a buddy to help me be healthier?

Ideally, the best buddy to help you develop healthier habits will have these four qualities:
  1. They listen to your story to understand the cause of your problem.
  2. They lead by example and nudge you in the right direction.
  3. They have some knowledge in nutrition and can help you learn to cook if you don’t know much.
  4. They help you identify imbalances in your life, such as eating too much junk food or ot getting enough sleep, and correct them. 
There are advantages to a one-on-one relationship, but if you have a couple of people in mind, that works, too.
This Is Your Do-Over: The 7 Secrets to Losing Weight, Living Longer, and Getting a Second Chance at the Life You Want

From one of America’s most trusted physicians and the bestselling coauthor of the YOU series with Dr. Mehmet Oz—this practical and empowering guide shares the seven secrets to losing weight, restoring peak vitality, and regaining optimal health at any age.No matter whether you’re a stressed-out workaholic, a couch potato, or a marshmallow addict, it’s never too late to get a second chance. You do not have to let genetics or bad choices of the past dictate your health outcomes. In fact, you have the power to change your body—as well as which of your genes are switched on—no matter how you’ve lived in the past.In This Is Your Do-Over, Dr.Michael Roizen, four-time New York Times #1 bestselling author and renowned Chief Wellness Officer of the Cleveland Clinic, provides the tools you need to slam the brakes on bad health and press the gas pedal to good health. In the book, he addresses all the areas that contribute to total-body wellness, including nutrition, exercise, sex, stress, sleep, and the brain. Using concrete strategies that anyone of any age can use, Dr. Roizen shows you how to change your heath destiny with his seven simple secrets to earning a Do-Over. He even shares the key step missing in most other programs: how to select and partner with the proper buddy or coach to get you to your goals. Grounded in cutting-edge scientific research and culled from Dr. Roizen’s experience coaching thousands, This Is Your Do-Over is the ultimate guide to reversing damage, optimizing health, and living a life filled with energy and happiness. It is not too late; your Do-Over starts now.

Continue Learning about Fitness Psychology

How can having a workout buddy help me exercise more?
Ian J. Palombo, MA, NASM Elite TrainerIan J. Palombo, MA, NASM Elite Trainer
Working out with a buddy is one of the easiest ways to help you improve your exercise frequency. In ...
How can I avoid feeling panic if I miss a day of working out?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Even with the best of intentions, life happens and we can’t always work out the way we planned. ...
How Can the Power of Positive Thinking Help to Optimize My Workouts?
Does Time Really Fly When We Are Having Fun?