What kinds of positive feedback should I give?

Positive feedback should be given for intent, effort, growth, change, and development. Positive feedback should be given for intent ("I think it's great that you are considering support from a personal trainer"), effort ("Considering how difficult it is for you to get to the gym I think it's great that you are here"), growth ("It's great that you've gone from 1 day of using the treadmill to 2 days"), and development ("I remember when you weren't able to walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes and now you are able to do 10"). The feedback should be genuine and should be attached to something personal and valued.

Continue Learning about Fitness Psychology

Will smiling really help make me feel better to exercise?
Smiling has been proven to make people feel better in practically every situation. The actual ac...
What can I do if I feel out of shape when just getting back to working out?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Good for you for getting back to it! Letting go of expectations and even an end goal is my first...
How Can the Power of Positive Thinking Help to Optimize My Workouts?
Does Time Really Fly When We Are Having Fun?