What can I do if I feel intimidated by the regulars in my exercise class?

David Buer
Fitness
If you feel intimidated in a group exercise setting, it's important to remember that you are there for yourself; your needs and goals are paramount. Watch me explain how to stay focused and motivated while exercising.
Just remember a wide variety of body types and people go to the gym and enjoy fitness classes. No one started off with the perfect body and being amazingly fit. At any modest sized gym you will find a wide variety of body types and fitness levels and a mix of regulars and newbies. Just remember that most people are there to work out and will be too busy focusing on that to worry about anything you think you may be doing wrong.  Try a variety of classes until you find the one that fits you best.
Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
First of all, you are not alone! I think most of us have felt this way at some point. My best advice is to show up early for class and introduce yourself to your instructor. Share with him/her any anxiety you may have. If this approach doesn’t work for you, come with a specific question to break the ice. Engaging in a conversation and making your relationship with your instructor more personal is a powerful way to connect and be seen.

Continue Learning about Fitness Psychology

What are the stages of change when it comes to exercise?
Not everyone is in the same place when it comes to exercise. We are not all designed to start an...
Can an exercise physiologist help me with a fitness and exercise program?
Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite TrainerJoanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
As a Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist I would say yes emphatically.  An exercise physiologi...
Does Time Really Fly When We Are Having Fun?
How Can the Power of Positive Thinking Help to Optimize My Workouts?