How often should I give positive feedback?

There is not a limit to positive feedback but there are conditions for when it's better to give it. Positive feedback should be given for intent ("I think it's great that you are considering support from a personal trainer"), effort ("Considering how difficult it is for you to get to the gym I think it's great that you are here"), growth ("It's great that you've gone from 1 day of using the treadmill to 2 days"), and development ("I remember when you weren't able to walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes and now you are able to do 10"). The feedback should be genuine and should be attached to something personal and valued. If given under these circumstances then there doesn't have to be a limit.

Continue Learning about Fitness Psychology

How can I use positive feedback to get in shape?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Positive feedback can help you stay motivated to exercise. A study found that people who self-monito...
How can having a workout buddy help me exercise more?
Ian J. Palombo, MA, NASM Elite TrainerIan J. Palombo, MA, NASM Elite Trainer
Working out with a buddy is one of the easiest ways to help you improve your exercise frequency. In ...
Does Time Really Fly When We Are Having Fun?
How Can the Power of Positive Thinking Help to Optimize My Workouts?