How often should I give positive feedback?

There is not a limit to positive feedback but there are conditions for when it's better to give it. Positive feedback should be given for intent ("I think it's great that you are considering support from a personal trainer"), effort ("Considering how difficult it is for you to get to the gym I think it's great that you are here"), growth ("It's great that you've gone from 1 day of using the treadmill to 2 days"), and development ("I remember when you weren't able to walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes and now you are able to do 10"). The feedback should be genuine and should be attached to something personal and valued. If given under these circumstances then there doesn't have to be a limit.

Continue Learning about Fitness Psychology

What are the benefits of positive feedback?
Positive feedback makes people feel good and it reinforces that what are they are doing is corre...
How can social networking help me stay motivated to exercise?
Chris PowellChris Powell
Social networking can help you stay motivated to exercise because sharing your goals with others can...
What kinds of positive feedback should I give?
Positive feedback should be given for intent, effort, growth, change, and development. Positive ...
How can having a workout buddy help me exercise more?
Ian J. Palombo, MA, NASM Elite TrainerIan J. Palombo, MA, NASM Elite Trainer
Working out with a buddy is one of the easiest ways to help you improve your exercise frequency. In ...