How can I deal with the discomfort that exercise causes?

Katie Rickel, PhD
Feeling your heart rate soar, countering the resistance of a heavy weight and noticing the burn of lactic acid buildup post-exercise can all be perceived as uncomfortable. For some people, the anticipation of this discomfort leads to exercise avoidance.

Whether you are exercising to improve your physique or to increase your endurance, you will only achieve your goals if your body is challenged beyond its normal state of functioning. If you feel as comfortable during exercise as you do lying on your couch, then you will likely not see the changes that you desire. Reinterpret discomfort during and after exercise as a sign that you are moving closer to your objective.

Continue Learning about Fitness Psychology

What qualities should I look for in a buddy to help me be healthier?
Ideally, the best buddy to help you develop healthier habits will have these four qualities: The...
What kinds of positive feedback should I give?
Positive feedback should be given for intent, effort, growth, change, and development. Positive ...
Does Time Really Fly When We Are Having Fun?
How Can the Power of Positive Thinking Help to Optimize My Workouts?