What do I need to think about when setting fitness goals?

Is your goal measurable? If it isn’t in the way it is currently written, is there a way to reframe it so that it can become measureable? Is your goal within your control? Examples of goals that are in your control are running a 3:30 marathon. Having a goal of finishing on the podium is a great goal to have, but it also depends on who shows up on race day- and that, my friends, is not in your control. Make sure your goals are something that you can control and are not predicated on other's performance. Do you have an appropriate timeline to reach your goal? If you want to take 2 hours off of your Ironman time, that may be very appropriate for you. It also may take more than 4-6 months of training. The body grows stronger and faster through systematic overload and recovery. It takes time and controlled stress to overload the body, and it takes ample recovery for the body to come back stronger. None of us can rush this process- that results in injury. Do you have intermediary goals along the way to measure your progress? Write out what it will take to reach your ultimate goal. Can you break it down into measurable chunks of work? After each build cycle and recovery you should be coming back stronger and faster. Use the first week of the next build to test your fitness and monitor your progress towards your goals.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
How can I burn more fat?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Fit and unfit people burn fat differently. The more fit you are, the more efficiently your body ...
How is the event a new track athlete will be good at determined?
When a high school coach receives a new batch of freshmen trying out for track in January, they ...
Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?