What should I look for in an exercise partner?

Social networks can strongly influence behavior and beliefs. People who are trying to change their exercise behavior and who have a strong social support fare better. That social support can include family, friends, coworkers, personal trainers, and other people who provide encouragement, support, accountability, and companionship.

There are various kinds of support that help people reach their health and fitness goals, and each of these support mechanisms has a significant impact on your successes or failures. An exercise partner should provide the following types of support:

• Instrumental support is the tangible and practical factors necessary to help you adhere to your exercise plan.  
  • Emotional support is expressed through encouragement, caring, empathy, and concern. Someone who understands your needs and might also be going through the same thing you are experiencing.  
  • Informational support is the type of support includes the directions, advice, or suggestions given to clients about how to exercise and the feedback regarding their progress.
  • The exercise partner should be a companion. Companionship support is the availability to have a friend, family, and/or coworkers to exercise with you.  

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

If I want to increase my fitness level, how long should I do cardio for?
Margaret Scherrer Margaret Scherrer
Consistency is key. Improving your fitness level happens over a period of time and not in one workou...
How do I keep track of my goals?
There are many ways to keep track of your goals and how you keep track is really dependent on wh...
How can I burn extra body fat on my waist and thighs?
 The body does not take off fat from one specific region of the body at any one time; this concept i...
What exercises can help tone my butt?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Here are some exercises to help tone your butt: Group 1: Stiff-legged deadlifts, back kicks, good...