What is an exercise contract?

An exercise contract is often an agreement between a client and a trainer or fitness professional. When I draft agreements with my clients, they are twofold.

1. What I agree to do for my client
  2. What my client agrees to do for themselves to ensure their success

It includes things like 2-3 tangible goals, an agreed timeline, daily commitments, etc. Many things will sabotage fitness and wellness goals. A main key in client success is addressing those things up front and coming up with a plan to minimize the things that take you off course and setting up support to aid you in reaching your goals.

An exercise contract is generally made with a fitness professional or coach to help you be accountable for your goals. This contract usually delineates what you need to do to move forward and reach your goals. Exercise contracts can include: start date, end date, long term goal(s), short term goals and a positive reward for reaching your goals. You sign and date it, and it stays in possession of the fitness professional or coach to be revisited each week. The contract gives you and the fitness professional or coach a way to stay on track and a point of conversation about successes, obstacles and challenges.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
What should I look for in an exercise partner?
Social networks can strongly influence behavior and beliefs. People who are trying to change their e...
Why should my fitness goals be realistic?
Dr. Eva B. Cwynar, MDDr. Eva B. Cwynar, MD
Once you begin an exercise program, you're best off starting with baby steps to keep your exercise g...
3 Steps to a Fitness Plan That Sticks
3 Steps to a Fitness Plan That Sticks