What should my first exercise goal be if I want to get in shape?

The first goal should be to identify and correct any possible muscle imbalances you may have developed from your activities of daily living. If you work out and train with these muscle imbalances this will make your workouts inefficient and can possibly lead to injuries due to poor mechanics. By correcting these imbalances you can reduce the risk of injury and improve the quality of you workouts. A movement assessment like an overhead squat assessment will show if you have any muscular imbalances. If any muscular imbalances appear use corrective flexibility training to loosen tightened muscles and active isolated strengthening to improve the strength of weakened muscles. This will bring your bodies joints back into optimal alignment and dramatically decrease your risk of injury.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

How can I make a strategy to help me reach my fitness goals?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Start by putting together a realistic strategy that will enable you to reach your goals. Determi...
What’s the best way to set health and fitness goals?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Whether you want to add an inch to your biceps or lose 10 pounds, the best way to make something rea...
How do I keep track of my goals?
There are many ways to keep track of your goals and how you keep track is really dependent on wh...
How can using moist heat help me stay on an exercise plan?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Using moist heat applications to your back or painful area before and after exercise may help you to...