What is the best way to exercise to lose weight?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
I honestly don’t think exercise alone is the answer to losing weight. I know this is strange coming from someone who has dedicated her life to teaching classes and helping people reach their goals! But -- I do think that exercise can lead to weight loss if it is an integrated way of life for you. My goal in classes is to teach body awareness so each client is empowered to tap into his or her own wisdom and make the right choices. Sure the hour they spend in classes helps build muscle shape and lengthen the body, but ultimately it is what you do the 23 hours after, that make the difference. Weight loss has a lot to do with food choices and portion control. You are more likely to know when you are full if you take the time to check in with your gut. After a workout that replenishes, versus depletes, you are more likely to choose a healthy foods. This is the key to weight loss.
To lose weight you should combine resistance training with aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise can burn a large amount of calories in a short period of time, but burns very little extra calories after a workout. Resistance training however burns a lot of calories after a workout through a mechanism known as excessive post exercise oxygen consumption also known as EPOC. This means if you do both you’ll burn large amounts of calories over the course of a day if you combine the two.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
What are the benefits of making small fitness goals?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Smaller fitness goals aren't necessarily better; they are simply easier to attain, and you begin...
How can I burn extra body fat on my waist and thighs?
 The body does not take off fat from one specific region of the body at any one time; this concept i...
The Benefits of Working Out in the Morning