How can I make a strategy to help me reach my fitness goals?

Say motivating things to yourself. In their book Motivational Interviewing, William Miller, PhD, and Stephen Rollnick, PhD, explain how counselors can use motivational techniques to help people reach goals, such as quitting smoking or losing weight. While working with a counselor can be powerful, there are powerful ways to talk to yourself as well. Ask yourself: Why does reaching this goal matter to me? How will I feel when I reach my goal? How ready am I to do what needs to be done to get the changes I want? Just accept your answers; don't judge them. Your inner self is already moving closer to your goal. For more motivation, post encouraging notes or images where you'll see them often. Or set up motivating reminders on your cell phone or mobile device.

Start thinking of yourself -- and picturing yourself -- as a fit person. This may take some positive self-talk at first, but if you see yourself as fit, you're more likely to eat right and exercise, even when temptation strikes. Meanwhile, you’ll be well on your way to truly being healthier and having the body you want!

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

Why should I take small steps toward my fitness goal?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
To achieve a fitness goal, break big dreams into small-enough steps. Now think tiny. Small steps...
How can failure help me reach a fitness goal?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
To achieve a fitness goal, learn from the past. Any time you fail to make a change, consider it a st...
What's the best way for me to decide what my fitness goals should be?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Use the following goal-setting process, called SCAMPI, to not only help you decide what your fitness...
How to Set Smart Goals for Weight Loss and Exercise