How can I reduce the effects of over exercising?

To reduce the effects of over exercising increase your calorie and nutrient content and increase your rest and recovery time. Make sure you’re getting adequate rest which means 7-9 hours of sleep a night, adequate calories and nutrition based on your age, weight and activity level, and include more rest or recovery days into your workout schedule. By increasing your nutrient intake and your rest your body will have the tools it needs to prevent the effects of over exercising.
Small-scale studies have shown that oxidation damage, inflammation, and the aging caused by over exercising can be reduced. Vitamins C and E [500 milligrams (mg) and 400 international units (IU), respectively, for a 150 pound, or 70 kilograms (kg) person -- but do not take these if you are taking a statin drug like Zocor, or Lipitor, or Crestor,] taken together appear to decrease this effect. I recommend taking these two vitamins together about an hour to two before exercise, just as a precautionary measure. I also recommend taking a 325-mg aspirin or another non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as ibuprofen (for example, Motrin, 200 mg) with plenty of water one or two hours before exercising, to help prevent the swelling and inflammation that often result from exercise.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
How much time should I allow myself to reach my goals?
James Conroy , NASM Elite TrainerJames Conroy , NASM Elite Trainer
Ask yourself, “what do I want and when do I want it by?” That answer will be your long-term, overall...
Why should fitness goals be specific?
Ruth Politi, MSNRuth Politi, MSN
Goals need to be specific so that they can be met. A person may set a goal to improve their diet. Th...
3 Ways a Personal Trainer Can Help You Get Fit