How much do people exercise?

Exercise is a health and lifestyle issue that seems to weigh on many peoples' consciences. They know they should do more, but they somehow never quite get around to it. More than 90 percent of Americans agree that exercise is an important part of healthy living, but only 15 percent exercise as much as they should. Despite the sports fashion boom of the 1980s, Americans seem to be exercising less and less. As a nation, our fitness level is declining. Fewer people (as a percent of the total) are fit in the 2000s than in the 1990s, fewer were fit in the 1990s than in the 1980s, and fewer people in the 1980s were fit than in the 1970s. In other words, fitness has been in steady decline. Over two hundred fifty thousand deaths a year, 12 percent of the national total, can be attributed to lack of regular physical activity.
It depends on who they are and where they live and their age. Studies show that only about 25% of Americans engage in any form of exercise on a regular basis. Of those 25% the rate at which they exercise or how many days a week they exercise varies greatly. Experts recommend that people engage in 2 hours 30 minutes of moderate exercise or 1 hour 15 minutes of vigorous exercise a week to stay healthy.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
How can I stick to my fitness plan?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
There are four must-do exercises to keep you moving on the right path of your fitness plan: Defi...
How many exercise goals should I set?
The number of exercise goals you should set is very personal. There are no set limits, however, ...
Work Your Butt With This Simple Exercise