How is the event a new track athlete will be good at determined?

When a high school coach receives a new batch of freshmen trying out for track in January, they need to match these prospective athletes with events that match their skill and ability.  The first thing the coach should do is conduct a battery of tests. The first test should be a fifty yard dash to determine who is quick and who is not. The second test should consist of three continuous frog hops (jumps) into the long jump pit to determine who is dynamic and explosive. Oddly enough, shot putter and discus throwers are very good at this drill due to the strength in their legs. The third test is the two-handed backwards overhead shot put throw to determine who is explosive and dynamic. After conducting these tests, it will be very apparent who your sprinters, hurdlers, and jumpers will be. Those athletes not fairing well in any of those tests proceed to the two mile run test. The athletes that do well there are your distance runners. The athletes that do not do well there will have there futures left in the coach's hands.

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?
What Exercises Can Improve My Posture?
What Exercises Can Improve My Posture?
What’s the Secret to Keeping a New Year’s Resolution?
How to Set Smart Goals for Weight Loss and Exercise