How can I increase my muscle mass?

When muscles lose volume, which can occur as a result of a sedentary lifestyle and as we age, you also lose calorie-burning power. The more muscle you have, the greater and more efficient your metabolism. The less muscle you have, the more your metabolism may take a hit. Take advantage of an exercise resistance band, especially because it’s portable, so you can work out at home or at the office in just minutes. The muscles of your shoulders and pelvis are some of the most massive and metabolically active muscles in the body, excellent for strength training to boost metabolism.

To build up shoulder muscles, try this exercise. Step on an exercise band. Extend one arm straight out to your side at a 90-degree angle. Try to do this 10 times for 5 seconds on each side. Switch arms.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

The New Rx-ercise: Move More, Move Quickly
If you type the word exercise into the Google search window, you’ll get about 1,720,000,000 results. And the available info covers everything from A t...
Why should my fitness goals be realistic?
Dr. Eva B. Cwynar, MDDr. Eva B. Cwynar, MD
Once you begin an exercise program, you're best off starting with baby steps to keep your exercise g...
How can I achieve a fitness goal?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
Fitness goals go far beyond losing weight. In this video, Dr. Oz's personal trainer, Donovan Green, ...
3 Ways a Personal Trainer Can Help You Get Fit