How can I increase my muscle mass?

When muscles lose volume, which can occur as a result of a sedentary lifestyle and as we age, you also lose calorie-burning power. The more muscle you have, the greater and more efficient your metabolism. The less muscle you have, the more your metabolism may take a hit. Take advantage of an exercise resistance band, especially because it’s portable, so you can work out at home or at the office in just minutes. The muscles of your shoulders and pelvis are some of the most massive and metabolically active muscles in the body, excellent for strength training to boost metabolism.

To build up shoulder muscles, try this exercise. Step on an exercise band. Extend one arm straight out to your side at a 90-degree angle. Try to do this 10 times for 5 seconds on each side. Switch arms.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

Why should my fitness goals be aggressive?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Sometimes you have to swing for the home run. If your fitness goal is to increase your strength and ...
How can I use visualization to reach my fitness goals?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
When you picture your fitness successes, you are better able to achieve them because they become...
What do I need to think about when setting fitness goals?
Is your goal measurable? If it isn’t in the way it is currently written, is there a way to refra...
Will I reach my goal the very first time I try?
It depends on your goal. It is quite possible that you may not reach your goal on the first try. Mos...