What type of goals should I set for my fitness program?

Goals can be developed using the SCAMPI principle of goal setting. SCAMPI stands for: specific, challenging, approach-oriented, measurable, proximal, and inspirational. Specific. A specific goal is one that you have identified and are determined to achieve. You are more likely to achieve a specific goal than simply setting out to "do your best". For example, "I will lose ten pounds over the next two months." Challenging. This is a goal that is at the upper end of your ability. Choose goals that challenge you, rather than those you can achieve easily. For example, "I will complete a half marathon in October." Approach-oriented. This means that your goal should have a positive end result rather than a negative state to avoid. This will help give you something to look forward to. For example, "I will spend 30-minutes exercising every day" is more approach-oriented than, "I will not watch so much television." Measurable. A goal needs to have a way of measuring progress. For example, "I will reduce my cholesterol by thirty points" is measurable, whereas "I will be healthier" is vague and not easily tracked. Proximal. Make your goal achievable within a short period of time to ensure that you stay determined. For example, "I will reduced my body fat by three percent by the end of next month." Inspirational. Set a goal that is in line with your ideals to help you stay interested. For example, if your family is important to you, your goal could be, "I will take a scenic hike with my children twice a month."

Continue Learning about Fitness Goals

3 Ways a Personal Trainer Can Help You Get Fit
Does the Athletic Challenge for Peak Performance Translate to Common Goals for Everyone?
What’s the Secret to Keeping a New Year’s Resolution?
What Should My First Exercise Goal Be If I Want to Get In Shape?