What should I look for when choosing athletic socks?

Proper sock selection is essential for your comfort and to help prevent blisters on the feet. Most socks have an absorbent cotton layer that faces the skin and a porous synthetic layer that forms the outer layer. This can be problematic in warm environments, because the cotton can hold the moisture close to the skin. When playing sports in these environments, consider using a double-layer or moisture-wicking sock. Two pairs of socks can also be used, with the first sock worn inside out and the second sock worn normally to create the necessary double synthetic layer and wick the moisture into the cotton layer away from the skin. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

Which brand of athletic shoes are considered the most comfortable?
Comfort of shoes depends on a lot of factors including shoe width, length, level of arch support, an...
What are the benefits of toe socks?
Lisa Bradley , NASM Elite TrainerLisa Bradley , NASM Elite Trainer
Toe socks can help reduce friction from your toes rubbing against one another, and from your toes ru...
How can wearing the wrong sneakers hurt my feet?
Wearing the wrong athletic shoes can cause foot strains, sprains, and pops. A pair of pricey spo...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?