What is a good walking shoe for my elderly parent?

A walking shoe that has support is great for anyone. Prior to purchasing, you must find out if your parent has any need for addition arch support. Do they have wide or narrow feet? Personally, I would take them shopping and have them try on walking shoes. Many stores now have the ability to test your feet to find what the best fit is.

Good shoes are the ones that fit best and offer good cushioning to support elderly, fragile feet. Where to find them? I suggest taking your parent to a sports specialty store. The one I always recommend and go to all the time is Run On specialty shoe store. They have a great knowledgeable staff on foot anatomy and will give you a good analysis of your parent’s walking movement. Based on that, they will suggest the proper shoes that would be best. Otherwise, select lightweight, flexible outsole, cushioned insole, and easy-grip padded-tongued shoes. You may want to consider no-lace slip-ons for comfier and easy wear.

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

Why is it crucial to wear well-cushioned shoes for walking or running?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Think of it this way…each stride we take requires support from our entire body. As you walk, your an...
What are the benefits of toe socks?
Lisa Bradley , NASM Elite TrainerLisa Bradley , NASM Elite Trainer
Toe socks can help reduce friction from your toes rubbing against one another, and from your toes ru...
What athletic shoes can I wear to avoid foot problems?
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite TrainerYusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
In today's market there are a ton of shoes and picking the right one for your needs can seem overwhe...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?