What is a good walking shoe for my elderly parent?

A walking shoe that has support is great for anyone. Prior to purchasing, you must find out if your parent has any need for addition arch support. Do they have wide or narrow feet? Personally, I would take them shopping and have them try on walking shoes. Many stores now have the ability to test your feet to find what the best fit is.

Good shoes are the ones that fit best and offer good cushioning to support elderly, fragile feet. Where to find them? I suggest taking your parent to a sports specialty store. The one I always recommend and go to all the time is Run On specialty shoe store. They have a great knowledgeable staff on foot anatomy and will give you a good analysis of your parent’s walking movement. Based on that, they will suggest the proper shoes that would be best. Otherwise, select lightweight, flexible outsole, cushioned insole, and easy-grip padded-tongued shoes. You may want to consider no-lace slip-ons for comfier and easy wear.

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

How should I choose a running shoe?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In general, running shoes should have a cushioned midsole, a firm heel counter, and about a th...
How often should I change my athletic shoes?
How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and ...
How should I choose running shoes to prevent injuries?
It is very important to use supportive shoes during activity for injury prevention. The most importa...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?