What is the difference between a walking and running shoe?

Walking shoes are designed to have the base of support on the heel and to enhance the rocking motion from heel to toe that is natural of walking motion. Running shoes have the support distributed more evenly across the entire foot to help distribute the load more evenly when you run. Walking shoe will not provide a natural motion while running and is not recommended for people who run regularly. If you do a combination of running and walking a cross training shoe would be the best option.

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

Why is it crucial to wear well-cushioned shoes for walking or running?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Think of it this way…each stride we take requires support from our entire body. As you walk, your an...
How can wearing the wrong sneakers hurt my feet?
Wearing the wrong athletic shoes can cause foot strains, sprains, and pops. A pair of pricey spo...
What is a good walking shoe for my elderly parent?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
A walking shoe that has support is great for anyone. Prior to purchasing, you must find out if your ...
What should I look for when choosing athletic socks?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Proper sock selection is essential for your comfort and to help prevent blisters on the feet. Mo...