Why is it crucial to wear well-cushioned shoes for walking or running?

Think of it this way…each stride we take requires support from our entire body. As you walk, your ankles, knees, hips, and lower back all take impact. If you are wearing shoes that do not support that then our bodies will not want to support you! If you are able to be without shoes all the time then you might be ok to work that way. However, most of us have to wear some sort of dress shoe and if you then transition to a shoe without support, well your body will not be happy.

Your feet don't have natural shock absorbers, so some of that shock you experience when you're walking will go right up the leg to the knee. That's why it's crucial to have well-cushioned walking or running shoes when you'll be on your feet for extended periods of time (even if you're just standing). Running shoes are usually a good option because they're well cushioned in the back - where your heel strikes the ground first and absorbs most of your body's weight. I suggest that you go to a specialty running-shoe store, have your shoes fitted by an expert, and buy a shoe that's made for your particular gait. Try on at least five pairs and walk around. Pick the one that feels the most comfortable. And comfortable, supportive shoes aren't just for exercise anymore; look into the myriad of cushion- soled shoes that you can wear to work.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

What should I look for when choosing athletic socks?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Proper sock selection is essential for your comfort and to help prevent blisters on the feet. Mo...
What athletic shoes can I wear to avoid foot problems?
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite TrainerYusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
In today's market there are a ton of shoes and picking the right one for your needs can seem overwhe...
How important is it to buy inserts or walking shoes if I walk a lot?
If you walk a lot it’s recommended to buy walking shoes which are designed to enhance the mechanics ...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?