How often should I replace my running shoes?

Experts agree that you should replace your running shoes every 300 to 400 miles. Just like balding and worn-out tires, your running shoes need changing, too. Pay attention to their fit as well; poor-fitting running shoes can result in blisters or cramps in your feet. 
Running in old, worn-out shoes is one of the most common causes of runners' injuries. Many people believe the treads on their shoes dictate the wear of the shoe. This is a common mistake when judging when it is time to get a new pair of shoes. It is important to look at the midsole, which provides stability and cushioning.

A good rule of thumb is that mileage should determine when to replace your running shoes. Your body weight, running style, shoe brand, and running surfaces can affect how many miles your shoes can take. On average, running shoes should be replaced between 350 and 550 miles. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)
If you run regularly you should replace you shoes every 3-6 months of 400-600 miles of running. Depending on how often you run and how far you run each session it may be as little as 3 months and as long as 6 months. Track how many miles you run each week and then change your shoes accordingly
There is no specific length of time that shoes last, and the durability of the shoe will depend on your running mechanics and your foot alignment. For example, if you run on the outside of your feet, then the shoes will wear down quicker in that area. Inspect your shoes and the heels to see how they look, and when they begin to wear down, it is probably time for a new pair.

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

What shoes are appropriate for playing on turf?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Shoes with molded cleats or screw-ins are best. However, some fields may have specific regulations. ...
What type of shoes should I wear when exercising?
You should wear a comfortable shoe with a closed toe when working out. The shoe should be specific t...
How important is it to buy inserts or walking shoes if I walk a lot?
If you walk a lot it’s recommended to buy walking shoes which are designed to enhance the mechanics ...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?