How often should I change my athletic shoes?

How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and the terrain they are running on. Larger runners who run on pavement need to replace their shoes more often than lighter runners who train primarily on dirt or trail. Most running shoes last between 300 and 500 miles. So depending on a runner's weekly mileage they may need to replace their shoes as often as every month, or as infrequently as every six months. It is important to replace a shoe before it breaks down to prevent injury. Rotating shoes is also a good idea to prolong the life of the shoe. Keep in mind that running shoe companies often upgrade or change their models, so if you find a shoe that works for you, buy a few back up pairs. By the time you will need to replace the shoe, it may no longer be available, so plan ahead and have a few back up pairs on hand. Running shoes are the shock absorber between the runner and the road. When the shocks wear down, the shock absorber stops working as optimally as it can. This means that runner's joints, bones and muscles absorb the impact, instead of the shoes. This is why a worn down shoe can lead to injury, so make sure to replace shoes prior to 500 miles.

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

What is the difference between motion-control, stability, or neutral shoes?
Motion control shoes are recommended for runners with low arches who are moderate to severe over-pro...
How should I choose a running shoe?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In general, running shoes should have a cushioned midsole, a firm heel counter, and about a th...
What athletic shoes can I wear to avoid foot problems?
Yusuf Boyd, NASM Elite TrainerYusuf Boyd, NASM Elite Trainer
In today's market there are a ton of shoes and picking the right one for your needs can seem overwhe...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?