How should I choose running shoes to prevent injuries?

It is very important to use supportive shoes during activity for injury prevention. The most important components of a shoe to prevent injuries are arch support, tread, sizing, and security.

First, you should choose shoes that properly support your arch. If your arch collapses within the shoes, use an insole to prevent this. Secondly, the tread on the bottom of the shoe must be present for grip on running surfaces to keep your foot from slipping. Third, the shoe must fit the foot and be sized appropriately. There should be room to wiggle your toes, and there should be no pinching in any areas of the foot. Lastly, the shoe should be secured with laces or some type of strap so the heel cannot slip out.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

How often should I change my athletic shoes?
How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and ...
What should I look for when choosing athletic socks?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Proper sock selection is essential for your comfort and to help prevent blisters on the feet. Mo...
How do minimalist shoes differ from barefoot running shoes?
Minimalist shoes are actually synonymous to barefoot running shoes. Major brands are now designi...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?