How do I choose appropriate shoes for a sport?

Consider the sport you're going out for and how much support your foot requires. Different sports require different amounts of cushion and stability. Depending on if you are competing on grass, turf, or an indoor court, you will need different traction.

The primary focus for footwear should be that it fits comfortably and provides adequate support. Brand does not matter necessarily when picking footwear, as long as it fits well. To pick shoes for a specific sport, talk with a shoe specialist in an athletic store. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

What is the difference between motion-control, stability, or neutral shoes?
Motion control shoes are recommended for runners with low arches who are moderate to severe over-pro...
What is the difference between a walking and running shoe?
Walking shoes are designed to have the base of support on the heel and to enhance the rocking motion...
What type of shoes should I wear when exercising?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You should wear a comfortable shoe with a closed toe when working out. The shoe should be specific t...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?