How do I choose appropriate shoes for a sport?

Consider the sport you're going out for and how much support your foot requires. Different sports require different amounts of cushion and stability. Depending on if you are competing on grass, turf, or an indoor court, you will need different traction.

The primary focus for footwear should be that it fits comfortably and provides adequate support. Brand does not matter necessarily when picking footwear, as long as it fits well. To pick shoes for a specific sport, talk with a shoe specialist in an athletic store. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

Why is it crucial to wear well-cushioned shoes for walking or running?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Think of it this way…each stride we take requires support from our entire body. As you walk, your an...
How often should I change my athletic shoes?
How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and ...
How important is it to buy inserts or walking shoes if I walk a lot?
If you walk a lot it’s recommended to buy walking shoes which are designed to enhance the mechanics ...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?