How should I break in a new pair of athletic shoes?

To break in a new pair of shoes, you should start by wearing them around the house. Allowing the sole to fit to your foot is essential for comfortable exercise and prevention of blisters. When feel the shoes beginning to conform to your feet, start to work them into workouts. Slowly cycle them into your daily workout, and when zero discomfort is felt when working out in them, wear them all the time.

There's no specific time line for breaking in shoes; it's specific for each case. Break in shoes at your own rate and comfort level. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness Footwear

How important is it to buy inserts or walking shoes if I walk a lot?
If you walk a lot it’s recommended to buy walking shoes which are designed to enhance the mechanics ...
What shoes are appropriate for playing on turf?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Shoes with molded cleats or screw-ins are best. However, some fields may have specific regulations. ...
How often should I change my athletic shoes?
How often an athlete needs to change their shoes depends somewhat on the size of the runner and ...
What Are the Best Shoes to Wear to Protect Your Feet?