Why should I use a pedometer?

It is recommended that adults should take a minimum of 10,000 steps per day. A pedometer will help you keep track of how many steps you're actually taking. It is a great motivational tool and keeps physical activity on your mind rather than an afterthought. Physical activity has been proven to reduce the risk of chronic diseases and disorders that are related to lifestyle, such as increased triglycerides and cholesterol levels, obesity, glucose tolerance, high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, and strokes. More importantly, some research indicates that discontinuing (or significantly decreasing) physical activity can actually lead to a higher risk of chronic diseases that are related to lifestyle.

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Here are a few reasons to use a pedometer:

• They give only positive feedback: the more you walk, the more steps you get to count.
  • They are inexpensive (anywhere from a free app on your phone to around $35 for a really fancy one).
  • There is no special clothing to start exercising (though of course, I'd put everyone in comfy sneakers if I could).
  • They are often a surprising wake-up call that your lifestyle truly is sedentary. From home-bound seniors to cubicle-dwelling techies, many of us don't realize how little we move, until we measure it. The great news here is that it becomes fun to see how many extra steps you can sneak in during the day by spacing out or expanding routine chores (delivering laundry to the kids rooms, walking across the building instead of emailing, etc.).

Continue Learning about Fitness

Top (Healthy) Reasons to Love Fall
Top (Healthy) Reasons to Love Fall
Apple picking, corn mazes, cooler weather, piles of colorful leaves—fall is a magical time of year. As this new season begins, you might feel inspired...
What does training low mean for athletes?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
A trend among endurance athletes is to intentionally train with low glycogen (sugar-based energy) st...
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Strengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body PlanStrengthen and Sculpt Your Body Plan
Add exercise bands to your workout for a leaner, stronger physique.
Everyday Desk Stretches
Everyday Desk Stretches