Why should I pay attention to my heart rate when I work out?

It is very important to monitor your heart rate during exercise. The faster your heart beats per minute, the harder your body is working and consequently the more calories you're expending. This can be used as an objective measurement of exercise intensity. In addition, individuals with chronic disease (e.g. hypertension, coronary heart disease) should monitor their heart rate to ensure they do not over exert themselves during exercise. For these individuals staying within their target heart rate is very important.

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
If you have health problems related to heart disease or being very overweight, measuring heart rate can be a prescription number to make sure you don’t overdo it and it also can act as gauge of progression. Endurance athletes also use heart rate to tell them what pace to run so they can delay fatigue by conserving carbohydrate stores. If weight loss is your primary goal, you don’t' need to know heart rate unless it helps you push yourself harder by seeing the number. For weight/fat loss, with all factors being equal (calorie intake, daily activities, etc.), it's simply the harder you work the more calories you will burn, which will lead to more absolute body fat loss.

Continue Learning about Fitness

The Weekend Warrior—Some Exercise is Better Than None
In the 2015-16 season, the Golden State Warriors posted the best single season win/loss record (73-9) in NBA history. But at the end of the season, wh...
How do I start exercising?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program to help determine what's best for you. ...
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
Reap the benefits of your time at the gym by dodging these workout no-nos.
How Can I Change My Body Shape?
How Can I Change My Body Shape?