Why is it important to work the upper body after giving birth?

During pregnancy the female body undergoes significant change in body posture. As weight increases the normal lordotic curvature of the lumbar and cervical spine as well as the kyphotic curvature of the thoracic spine begins to increase. In addition to this hormonal changes allow ligaments to become more lax. These issues will cause postural distortion and muscle imbalances of the upper extremities. After birth exercising the upper body through an integrated approach of flexibility and resistance training will correct these muscle imbalances and postural distortions and will go a long way in preventing injuries such as impingement syndrome of the shoulder and tension headaches.

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Upper body strength and specifically upper back strength helps to counter poor posture associated with being a new mom. For those breastfeeding, the added weight of enlarged breasts coupled with a rounded posture while breastfeeding often leads to shoulder and neck injury due to a shift of weight and weakened back muscles. And, all new moms spend countless hours with the head tilted down out of neutral holding children or even just admiring them for hours while they sleep! I know I was glued to my babies 24/7 at first and my back suffered!

Continue Learning about Fitness

An Easy Way to Fall in Love with Activity
You'll end your love affair with your couch in no time if you observe this one rule when you plan physical activities: be choosy. Sounds simple, but ...
Will it ever be possible to get the positive effects of exercise in a pill?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
It is possible that there will be a pill that creates the same positive effects of exercise. In this...
Ditch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor Activities
Ditch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor ActivitiesDitch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor ActivitiesDitch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor ActivitiesDitch the Gym and Try These 10 Outdoor Activities
Have fun in the sun this summer. It may even help you drop a few pounds.
No Props Needed Workout
No Props Needed Workout