Why is it so hard to stick to a diet and exercise program?

Heidi Powell
Fitness
One reason it is hard to stick to a diet and exercise program is that we often put ourselves and our needs and goals on the bottom of the list.

While you’d never think of breaking a promise made to others, you’re often not as good at keeping those you make to yourself. To put it simply, there are two types of promises: those you keep and those you don’t. “I promise”  simply means you’ll do (or not do) what you say you’ll do (or not do). The promises you make to yourself should be the most important you keep, because you are so, so important and others depend on you to be your best self. The main reason people don't keep promises is because they’re too big -- they’re inflated. Some examples:
  • I will do 30 minutes of cardio every morning.
  • I will eat five smaller meals every day.
  • I will never eat pizza again.
These types of promises are doomed from the get-go. There is no way they can be kept.

Another example of inflated promises is when you make too many promises to yourself at once, like if you tried to keep all three of the above promises. At one time.

Get the picture? Something will always happen to derail these types of promises, and that’s life.

This content originally appeared on HeidiPowell.net.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Best Yoga for Fibromyalgia
Best Yoga for Fibromyalgia
Think yoga is too strenuous? Think again. While some types of yoga, such as Bikram, Ashtanga and Vinyasa may indeed put too much pressure on your musc...
Can I really boost calorie burning at rest?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Yes, adding lean body mass through progressive resistance training can help boost calorie burn at re...
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
Whether you're riding your bike or taking a swim, here's how to stay safe during your summer workouts.
Sue Hitzmann's Pain-Melting Workout
Sue Hitzmann's Pain-Melting Workout