Why don't I get sore after workouts anymore?

Muscle soreness occurs when the muscle is stressed to the point that it slightly tears, causing what is called delayed onset muscle soreness. Once the muscle is healed, a few days after the initial exercise, the muscle becomes stronger. Repeatedly doing the same exercise routine will not continue to strengthen the muscle, therefore there will be no soreness.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Fitness

Why Diet and Exercise Don’t Work—9 Questions for Dan Buettner
Dan Buettner is a National Geographic Fellow and multiple New York Times bestselling author. He discovered the five places in the world—dubbed “Blue Z...
What is exercise?
Exercise is physical activity that enhances health and fitness. The term exercise encompasses health...
Can exercise help prevent sleep disorders in police officers?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Researchers at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital screened 4957 police offi...
What Exercise Can I Do At Home to Strengthen My Back?