What are the major types of activity that contribute to fitness?

Any type of activity contributes to health and fitness. The most important thing to focus on is being active and less on what types of activity. The more activity you perform and the more variety of activities you perform the fitter  and healthy you will become.  Engage in activities you enjoy and find ways to incorporate more activity into your day to day life, like taking stairs instead of elevators, parking further away from work or stores, and walking as much as possible. The goal is to be as active as possible in as many ways as you can.  That being said you will gain the most benefit from engaging regularly in activities that stress the cardiovascular system like running, weight bearing exercises like weight lifting, and stretching exercises. This will stress the three main components of fitness muscular fitness, cardiovascular fitness, and flexibility. 

Continue Learning about Fitness

How to Stay Active in the Office
How to Stay Active in the Office
The backup quarterback for the Bears, Chase Daniels, will earn around $7 million over the next two years—not bad for a veteran, who (up until this Tha...
What is an abdominal crunch?
An abdominal crunch is an exercise to strengthen the abdomen by contracting it to flex your spine an...
How do I start exercising?
Here's what I recommend my patients do when starting to exercise: Start slowly. Don't overdo it. ...
How does my weight affect the number of calories I burn?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Your current body size affects the number of calories you will need for a given activity, as well as...