What is the formula for the target heart rate for a man when exercising?

Mr. Donovan Green
Athletic Training
The formula for your target heart rate is very simple. Take your age and subtract it from 220. This will give you a pretty good estimate of where your maximum heart rate should be. An example of this formula would be if someone is 30 years of age. Their max HR would be 190:
220-30=190
Though this formula is not always accurate it provides a great way to know your working zone.
Here's one formula: Your max heart rate is 220 minus your age (220 – age = HRmax). For achieving cardio endurance, I recommend cardio zone training: 
  • Zone 1: 65 to 75% of HRmax
  • Zone 2: 80 to 85% of HRmax
  • Zone 3: 90% of HRmax
You should meet with a NASM Personal Trainer to safely design a cardio program.
The formula for men is 220 minus age. For example, for men age 50, this gives a maximum heartbeat of 170.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Exercise to Get Smart
Exercise to Get Smart
Whenever I'm trying to figure out a solution to a particularly thorny problem, my first instinct is to go for a walk, hop on my bike, or take off on m...
Are the instructors teaching for the Parks and Recreation Dept. certified?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
I am very happy to say that the Parks and Rec Department here (Gillette, Wyoming) only hires certifi...
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
Don't let these exercise goofs ruin your workout.
4 Ways to Avoid Workout Injuries and Burn More Calories