What summer activities can I do to stay fit?

JJ Virgin
Health Education
Summer provides a perfect time to get in great shape or take that great shape up a notch. Try doing lunges in the sand. Burst training is the ideal exercise to get lean and toned in just minutes. You can do burst training anywhere. Take your park hill. Simply sprint up at full throttle (30-60 seconds; you should be breathless!), walk down at normal pace, and then repeat.
To stay fit in the summer, consider getting outdoors in the good weather and walk, jog, run, hike, bike or paddle a canoe or kayak. You might also try paddleboarding or rock climbing. Remember to use appropriate safety gear, and don't forget to wear sunscreen, a hat and good shoes appropriate to the activity.
Here are 10 fun summer activities that burn calories:
  • Swimming (crawl or butterfly)
  • Water polo
  • Beach volleyball
  • Scuba or skin diving
  • Water Skiing
  • Swimming (general)
  • Golf (without cart)
  • Whitewater rafting
  • Snorkeling
  • Hang Gliding
  • Frisbee
Heidi Powell
Fitness
Here are a few activities to help you keep fit during the busy summer months:
  • Work out with your kids! I know this may sound daunting, but it can be so much fun! One of my favorite things to do is make an obstacle course or scavenger hunt for my littles that we can all do together.
  • Water workouts! The summer heat can be brutal, so staying poolside is essential during the summer. Combining swimming fun with a workout is one of my favorite ways to stay fit while still having fun with my kiddos. There are so many great exercises you can do in the pool from just swimming laps to water aerobics, the options are endless!
  • Rise and grind! When all else fails, getting up before your kids might be the only way to get a workout in. Although waking before the sun can be tough, by starting an early morning routine and sticking to it, your body will learn to adapt quickly and before you know it, you’ll be an early riser! Bonus: Getting your workout in before your kids are up leaves you the rest of the day to play and have fun!
This content originally appeared on HeidiPowell.net.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Take These 3 Self-Tests to Measure Your Fitness
Have a New Year's resolution or two looming on the horizon? Of course you do! And we bet getting in better shape made the top of your to-do list, just...
Should I follow the FITT principle for exercise?
Yes the FITT principle which stands for Frequency, Intensity, Type, and Time, should dictate your pl...
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat5 Smart Ways to Exercise in the Heat
Whether you're riding your bike or taking a swim, here's how to stay safe during your summer workouts.
4 Ways to Avoid Workout Injuries and Burn More Calories