What jobs are available in the fitness industry?

Below are some of the key jobs available at health and fitness clubs.

General manager:
  • Duties: Oversee club operations, membership and personal training sales, marketing, fitness programs and other responsibilities.
  • Requirements: Strong sales and management experience and a commitment to exemplary customer service.
Fitness director:
  • Duties: Create and maintain fitness programming. Oversee group exercise, personal training, fitness assessments, member orientations and equipment. Responsible for hiring and supervising trainers.
  • Requirements: Must have strong supervisory experience and fitness knowledge.
Group/aerobics instructor:
  • Duties: Lead various exercise classes and help participants maximize their results.
  • Requirements: Certification and/or instructional experience may be required, as well as an audition.
Personal trainer:
  • Duties: Instruct clients on the proper methods of exercising according to their age, medical condition, fitness abilities and goals.
  • Requirements: Must have extensive knowledge of physical fitness and exercise.
Sales representative:
  • Duties: Boost club sales, marketing and retention efforts by signing new members and renewing and upgrading existing members.
  • Requirements: Must have excellent communication skills, and experience in retail, telemarketing, sales and/or customer service. 

Continue Learning about Fitness

Body Size or Exercise: Which Matters Most?
Given the choice between being slim despite the fact that you never exercise or being overweight despite the fact that you work out all the time, whic...
How Your Rear End Helps You Live Longer
How Your Rear End Helps You Live Longer
There's a new player in the fight to stay healthy: your rear end. Use it less for sitting and more for standing and you'll live longer. That's what a...
Is Your Workout Paying Off?
Is Your Workout Paying Off?
Investment-minded people know one of the best ways to strengthen a long-term financial portfolio is to diversify investments. Investing your money in ...
What should I know about hiking?
Jane MilliffJane Milliff
“Hiking downhill is harder than going up– I’m always on guard and if there’s any scree, I slip.” say...