What jobs are available in the fitness industry?

Below are some of the key jobs available at health and fitness clubs.

General manager:
  • Duties: Oversee club operations, membership and personal training sales, marketing, fitness programs and other responsibilities.
  • Requirements: Strong sales and management experience and a commitment to exemplary customer service.
Fitness director:
  • Duties: Create and maintain fitness programming. Oversee group exercise, personal training, fitness assessments, member orientations and equipment. Responsible for hiring and supervising trainers.
  • Requirements: Must have strong supervisory experience and fitness knowledge.
Group/aerobics instructor:
  • Duties: Lead various exercise classes and help participants maximize their results.
  • Requirements: Certification and/or instructional experience may be required, as well as an audition.
Personal trainer:
  • Duties: Instruct clients on the proper methods of exercising according to their age, medical condition, fitness abilities and goals.
  • Requirements: Must have extensive knowledge of physical fitness and exercise.
Sales representative:
  • Duties: Boost club sales, marketing and retention efforts by signing new members and renewing and upgrading existing members.
  • Requirements: Must have excellent communication skills, and experience in retail, telemarketing, sales and/or customer service. 

Continue Learning about Fitness

Take a Vacation—But Not From Your Workout
When entrepreneurial gadfly Richard Branson owned the hideaway for celebs, La Residencia, in Majorca, Spain, everyone from Princess Diana and Harrison...
Is exercising three days a week for two hours sufficient?
It is recommended to exercise 5-7 days per week. Each of those days should contain some type of card...
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
Don't let these exercise goofs ruin your workout.
What Can I Do If I Feel Intimidated by the Regulars in My Exercise Class?