What is optimal cardiorespiratory fitness?

Optimal cardiorespiratory fitness is having enough cardiorespiratory fitness to easily sustain you in your chosen activities and sports and have good overall cardiorespiratory health. The best overall test of cardiorespiratory fitness is the VO2 max test which is a measure of the volume of oxygen a person can consume per minute per kilogram of body weight usually noted as ml/kg/min. A for a typical healthy person a VO2 max should be around 35-40 ml/kg/min, for elite endurance athletes like marathon runners and cyclists it be as high as 75-80 ml/kg/min. If you’re interested in determining your VO2 max you can do so at an exercise science or sports medicine lab. A good rule of thumb to determine if you have optimal cardiorespiratory fitness for your chosen sport or activities are if you can perform the activity but still have reserve stores of energy if you need them. If performing the activity requires maximal exertion all the time you probably need to increase your fitness through training. 

Continue Learning about Fitness

5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
Don't let these exercise goofs ruin your workout. Whether you work out a little or a lot, we’ve all had them—embarrassing gym moments. The key to surv...
Kale Chip Workout
Kale Chip Workout
What Should I Know Before I Try Kung Fu?
Beat the Office Slump Workout
Beat the Office Slump Workout