What exactly does a weight belt do?

The original concept of a weight belt was to be used as a protective measure for the body when lifting extremely heavy weights.  They are designed to protect your back from hyper extending by pushing in your core muscles and allowing them to work efficiently throughout a movement.  This idea has been under constant scrutiny as some experts suggest that weight belts only work when lifting with faulty mechanics and may actually allow for the muscles of the core to become weaker becasue they are not needed to work as hard to stabilize the spine.

Continue Learning about Fitness

The Secret to Loving Exercise: Pleasure, Not Pain
Exercise slims your hips, flattens your belly, boosts your spirits and—according to a recent study that had us cheering loudly -- packs a longevity bo...
How can I stay active if I have a chronic illness?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Because of the symptoms they experience, those who live with chronic illness may find it challenging...
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout6 Ways You Are Sabotaging Your Workout
Reap the benefits of your time at the gym by dodging these workout no-nos.
Ballet-Inspired Chair Workout
Ballet-Inspired Chair Workout