What are the benefits of starting an exercise program in middle age?

Starting an exercise program in middle-age can help you reap lifelong benefits on health and longevity.

Norwegian researchers found that older men who spent six days of 30 minutes of moderate exercise had a 40% lower risk of death than those who didn’t exercise. The researchers believe that women would enjoy the same benefits. Across the pond, Canadian scientists found that postmenopausal women who got five hours of moderate-to-vigorous aerobic exercise every week lost significantly more body fat than women who exercised less. Both studies concluded that exercise helped increase longevity and cut disease risk.

The takeaway: It’s never too late. Talk to your doctor about an exercise regimen.

Continue Learning about Fitness

How to Prevent Winter Falls
How to Prevent Winter Falls
Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trots get thousands of folks from Maine to Southern California and scores of places in between (Franklin, TN; Tallahassee, FL;...
How do I get my dream body?
There is no substitute for well planned, focused, consistent hard work. If you want to achieve your ...
Your Exercise Wake-Up Call
Your Exercise Wake-Up CallYour Exercise Wake-Up CallYour Exercise Wake-Up CallYour Exercise Wake-Up Call
Skipping a regular workout can put you at risk for serious health problems, including cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Learn how exercise protects your...
What Is Kung Fu?
What Is Kung Fu?