What are the benefits of changing up my exercise routine?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
Switching up your workouts -- rather than doing the same thing day after day -- has many benefits. For starters, it’s more fun to mix it up -- it adds some spice. Trying new activities makes it more likely that you’ll find something you really love doing and can stick with. It’s also better for your overall fitness. It strengthens different muscles and reduces your chances of a repetitive-stress injury. Studies have shown that people who do a combination of cardio and weights have better outcomes for weight and other benefits of exercise.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Sex Does Not Inhibit Athletic Performance
 In 2007, Sylvester Stallone gave up having sex in order to improve his performance as Rocky in his movie Rocky Balboa. That’s taking the commonly hel...
Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 Minutes to Younger Muscles
Just 20 minutes of this stuff a day can help keep your muscles young. We're talking about exercise. Yep, the timeless physique is just minutes away. ...
How many times a week should I do a hard workout?
Obi ObadikeObi Obadike
I would advise doing a difficult workout no more than two to three times a week because you need a c...
How to Bust Through a Weight-Loss Plateau