Does weight training help with cardiovascular health for younger adults?

Yes, weight training can help with cardiovascular health for young adults, but it depends on how you are training. For one thing when you are lifting weights you should focus on your breath and maintain deep inhales and exhales which will increase the flexibility of your diaphragm making each breathe easier and more efficient.

Also, you can do a circuit training system where you are moving quickly from one station or exercise to the next. This will get your heart rate up which will improve cardiovascular health.

Andrea Metcalf
Fitness
Weight training increases oxygen demand on the body and heart rates will be elevated from slightly to intense ranges. We know that as little of ten minutes of vigorous exercise daily can improve cardiovascular health as well as decrease the risk of Type II Diabetes. That said, weight training involving plyometeric jumps and movements can easily benefit cardiovascular capacity and health.

Strength/weight training that is performed in a circuit (one exercise performed immediately after the next) keeps the heart rate up and would help with cardiovascular health.

Weight training is important for everyone over the age of 12 with physician consent. Interval training is a great way to incorporate weights and cardio in one workout. There are many different ways this workout can be designed and it can be done up to three or four times a week with great results in as little as three weeks. Some have even claimed to notice a difference after just one work out. Younger adults have a unique advantage to getting these habits started earlier and extremely reducing risk of a whole list of health problems people that don't exercise will experience as early as 30 years of age. 

Continue Learning about Fitness

How a Bus Ride Makes You Fit
How a Bus Ride Makes You Fit
Not getting the recommended 30 minutes of exercise each day? Then take the bus. Yep, a little public transportation may be just the ticket to getting...
Can exercise help prevent sleep disorders in police officers?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Researchers at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital screened 4957 police offi...
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
Don't let these exercise goofs ruin your workout.
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?