Is it unhealthy to swim after a meal?

I think this myth has gone back and forth for years.  Eat. Don't Eat. It has been kind of confusing.  However, when we eat, our digestive system (especially the stomache) requires more blood to be actively working.  Is it so much extra blood that other systems (such as the muscular system/large muscle groups) would be compromised if we overloaded both systems at the same time?  More than likely not, however, it is comon to wait 20 minutes after eating to swim.  This way we are challenging fewer systems at one time and the likelihood of getting muscle cramps in deep water decreases.  Also, most athletes I know don't have a heavy meal less than two hours before exercise.  If you eat a large meal or food that is slowly digested, the more common reaction is to puke.  You don't want to be puking in the water either.  So it is still often recommended to not swim right after your meal.  Timing of eating, when you are going to work out and the types of food you will be eating are all important factors.
It is not unhealthy to swim after consuming a meal; however, it may be very uncomfortable for some individuals may be more sensitive to the challenge of simultaneous exertion and digestion.  The body needs a lot of blood to digest food.  This means that if you combine that with significant physical activity, your body’s normal digestion process is competing with the process to provide oxygen/fuel rich blood to hardworking muscles.  This is why some individuals may feel the need to vomit when exercising after a meal.  To reduce the chance of stomach distress, avoid consuming a heavy meal before engaging in demanding physical activity.
Dr. Know debunks the myth about swimming after a meal. Learn more about swimming in this video from Discovery.

Continue Learning about Fitness

Taking Time Off From Exercise Is More Dangerous Than You Think
The star of the syndicated comic strip, Garfield, is a big, funny, lazy orange cat of the same name. In one installment, Garfield’s owner, Jon, tells ...
How do I get my dream body?
There is no substitute for well planned, focused, consistent hard work. If you want to achieve your ...
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them5 Embarrassing Gym Moments—And How to Avoid Them
Don't let these exercise goofs ruin your workout.
Exercises for Back-Pain Relief
Exercises for Back-Pain Relief