Is physical activity important for an adolescent child's health?

Physical activity is important for adolescents for many reasons. Physical activity decreases their risk of developing childhood obesity, which in turn dramatically reduces their risks of developing diabetes and heart disease later in life. Regular physical activity in children has been shown to improve test scores and academic achievement, promote stronger bones and muscles, improved motor skill development and improves social skills. Physically active children have also been shown to have higher test scores and are more likely to graduate high school as well as attend college.

Continue Learning about Fitness

How to Exercise the Right Way: 10 Steps
How to Exercise the Right Way: 10 Steps
To get the results you want from a workout, holding your body in a proper position is just as important as the workout itself. Doing exercises correct...
What are some summer fitness tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The summer is a great season for getting in shape, whether by playing a sport, an aerobic exercise r...
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss5 Reasons to Work Out That Go Beyond Weight Loss
Work up a sweat for these major health benefits.
How Can I Gauge My Intensity If I Don’t Have a Heart Rate Monitor?